Are you ready to simplify your lifestyle and household responsibilities? Are you considering the idea of moving to a smaller residence? If you have been thinking of organizing and downsizing your home and the thought of going through all your stuff is overwhelming, you’re not alone. Where do you begin? And what do you do with all of your belongings?
Being organized is vital to the moving process. Here are steps you can take to prepare for an organized, stress-free move:
Make a plan. Establish a checklist, deadlines, measurements, delegation lists, move time-line.
- Start sorting. Pick one room/area to start with and designate an hour or two a day to this process.
- What do I do with my stuff? There are many ways to dispose of your items: antique dealers, consignment shops, yard sales, non-profits. Don’t assume that one donation center will take everything you need to dispose of. Have a backup plan.
- Make a floor plan. As soon as you know where you are going, make a floor plan. Cut out templates allowing you to visualize your furniture arrangement and what will fit.
- Inventory your staples. About a month before your move, take stock of paper products, canned goods and items in your freezer. Begin using up as much as possible. Donate extra items to local food pantries.
- Notify everyone. Make a list of those businesses and/or relative that need your new address. This includes post office, utilities and other services; creditors as well as friends, relatives and organizations for which you belong.
- Several days ahead of time, set aside items that you will need the day of the move in a reserved area. Included items might be: an overnight bag with change of clothes & personal items); important papers, sheets and towels; basic tools; cleaning supplies; kitchen needs, plus your checkbook and method of payment for the movers.
If you still need help, there are professional senior move specialists who are knowledgeable and can take you through the process and act as a support through this challenging process. A professional senior move specialist will also orchestrate all the moving details and set-up the new home so you can move right in and settle into your new home!
Article submitted by Nancy Giaimo, a professional organizer and a board member of NOCSC. Her company website is www.changingspacesoc.com